Roasted shallots and mushrooms add another dimension to steamed broccoli.
- 4 large shallots, peeled and halved
- 4 ounces whole mushrooms
- Olive oil spray
- 1 large bunch broccoli, about 1-1/2 pounds
- 1-1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 to 1/3 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Turn oven to 500 degrees. Spray a small baking pan or cast iron skillet with olive oil spray and add shallots and mushrooms. Spray the tops and put in the oven. Cook about 15 minutes, shaking the pan a few times during cooking. Remove when nicely browned all over. Coarsely chop shallots and slice mushrooms.
Meanwhile, cut broccoli into florets, peel stalk and cut into rounds 1/4-inch thick. Put stalk slices in the bottom of a steamer basket in a large saucepan with about 1/2-inch of water. Add florets on top. Cover and put over medium-high heat for 7 minutes.