This recipe is from my article All About Kiwifruit. Since kiwifruit is often described as having elements of citrus, strawberry and melon, we decided to put them all together for an intense kiwi experience.
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon mild vinegar such as rice or cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon almond or walnut oil
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 small cantaloupe, peeled and seeds removed
- 1 pint strawberries washed and stemmed
- 1 navel orange peeled with all white pith removed
- 4 kiwifruit, peeled and cut into thin rounds
- Small head of radicchio for lining a platter
- 2 tablespoons toasted sliced almonds
Combine ginger, honey, lemon juice, vinegar, oil and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
With cut side of cantaloupe down on a work surface, cut into very thin slices, crosswise. Then cut slices in half, crosswise. Halve strawberries, lengthwise. Cut oranges into thin slices.
Put radicchio on a platter, flattening it out to make as even a surface as possible. Arrange fruit in concentric rings around the platter. First the cantaloupe on the outside, then half the strawberries inside that. Then kiwi, remaining strawberries, and orange slices in the center. Stir up dressing again and pour over fruit. Sprinkle with almonds.
Serves 4 to 6.
Sam’s Cooking Tip: By using sliced almonds – which are cut much thinner than you can do at home – you can get the same almond flavor in many dishes while using fewer nuts. This keeps the cost and the fat down.