- 1 1/2 cups plus 1/3 cup toasted pecans
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 egg white
- 1 1/2 cups cooked pureed pumpkin
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon each allspice and nutmeg
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 cup bourbon
1)Process 1 1/2 cups of pecans and 2 tablespoons of sugar in a food processor until finely chopped. Add the flour and egg white and process until well combined. Press into the bottom and sides of a 9 or 10-inch pie plate and bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 15 minutes. Let cool.
2) Combine the pumpkin, brown sugar, milk, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and ½ teaspoon of salt in a saucepan and heat just to a boil. Remove from the heat and add the egg yolks one at a time.
3) Combine the gelatin with 1/4 cup warm water in a small bowl and set aside for three minutes. Add to the pumpkin mixture and transfer to a mixing bowl. Set over ice and stir occasionally until cool, 20 to 30 minutes.
4) Beat the egg whites and pinch of salt until soft peaks form. Sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar. Continue beating until glossy, 15 to 20 seconds.
6) Chop the remaining pecans. Whip the cream, confectioners’ sugar and bourbon until soft peaks form. Top slices of the torte with the whipped cream. Sprinkle with the chopped pecans. Makes 8 to 10 portions.